What does blood flow have to do with memory loss?

A lack of healthy blood flow to the brain is one of the other main causes of forgetfulness.

Each side of the brain has a separate blood supply that looks like several large trees during winter. Between the twigs at the tips of the major branches are areas of brain that are dependent on blood from each of the surrounding trees. The area farthest from two blood-supply lines is the watershed area where we tend to have ministrokes when the branches of surrounding trees are pruned by atherosclerosis or the tree trunks themselves wither from poor maintenance. Cholesterol-lowering statin drugs may help maintain memory by preserving tree architecture, while also reducing inflammation that ages the brain cells directly.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...

Continue Learning about Memory Loss

Prevent Dementia at Any Age
Prevent Dementia at Any Age
Forgot something? You’re not alone. One in eight baby boomers has memory lapses, at least once in a while, a recent survey says. And whether you’ve fo...
How can I improve my ability to do laundry if I have memory difficulties?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Post laundry care instructions near your washer and dryer. Tack an index card to a bulletin boar...
How do I pack for a trip if I have memory problems?
Create a packing list. Include the obvious: Clothing, accessories, toiletries and so forth. Also...
Improve Memory with Celery
Improve Memory with Celery