What does blood flow have to do with memory loss?

A lack of healthy blood flow to the brain is one of the other main causes of forgetfulness.

Each side of the brain has a separate blood supply that looks like several large trees during winter. Between the twigs at the tips of the major branches are areas of brain that are dependent on blood from each of the surrounding trees. The area farthest from two blood-supply lines is the watershed area where we tend to have ministrokes when the branches of surrounding trees are pruned by atherosclerosis or the tree trunks themselves wither from poor maintenance. Cholesterol-lowering statin drugs may help maintain memory by preserving tree architecture, while also reducing inflammation that ages the brain cells directly.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...

Continue Learning about Memory Loss

Could a Supplement Help Keep Your Mind Sharp?
By the year 2060, an estimated 14 million older adults in the United States will be living with dementia, which affects not only memory, but also deci...
How can I remember appointments if I have memory problems?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
There are several things you can do to improve your memory for appointments and schedules. First...
Aside from aging, what can erode my memory?
Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPHDr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Stress, sleep deprivation, and the side effects of some medications all can undermine concentrat...
Improve Memory with Celery
Improve Memory with Celery