What does blood flow have to do with memory loss?

A lack of healthy blood flow to the brain is one of the other main causes of forgetfulness.

Each side of the brain has a separate blood supply that looks like several large trees during winter. Between the twigs at the tips of the major branches are areas of brain that are dependent on blood from each of the surrounding trees. The area farthest from two blood-supply lines is the watershed area where we tend to have ministrokes when the branches of surrounding trees are pruned by atherosclerosis or the tree trunks themselves wither from poor maintenance. Cholesterol-lowering statin drugs may help maintain memory by preserving tree architecture, while also reducing inflammation that ages the brain cells directly.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...

Continue Learning about Memory Loss

As You Age, Be Confident in Your Memory
As You Age, Be Confident in Your Memory
Ever forget why you went into a room or step out of the shower with shampoo/conditioner still in your hair? Whether you call it a brain fart or a seni...
How should I organize my kitchen if I have memory problems?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
The following suggestions will help you organize your kitchen if you have memory problems: Labe...
How can I balance my checkbook if I have memory problems?
Avoid omissions in your checkbook register by using duplicate checks. If you forget to write in ...
Is There a Brain Exercise I Can Do That Will Improve My Memory?