Who should not take melatonin?

Carol Ash, DO
Pulmonary Disease

Melatonin helps your body transition into sleep mode, but it won't help you stay asleep if you have trouble maintaining sleep. Watch internist and sleep expert Carol Ash, DO, explain why melatonin is not a good option if you can't maintain sleep.

Bryce B. Wylde
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Consult a specialist before using melatonin if you:
  • Are pregnant or breastfeeding
  • Have high blood pressure
  • Have had a seizure
  • Have diabetes
  • Have cancer
  • Have depression
  • Are taking certain sedative medications (CNS depressants)
  • Are taking nifedipine GITS (Procardia XL)
  • Are taking medications that decrease the immune system (immunosuppressants)
  • Are taking fluvoxamine (Luvox)
The Antioxidant Prescription: How to Use the Power of Antioxidants to Prevent Disease and Stay Healthy for Life

Dr. Bryce Wylde, one of Canada's most popular and respected health care practitioners, gives us individualized step-by-step treatment plans to fight disease and stay healthy.In The Antioxidant...

Continue Learning about Melatonin

What is melatonin used to treat?
As a supplement, melatonin has been used to treat insomnia; to aid in withdrawal from the use of ben...
Can melatonin help prevent migraines?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
In one study, the sleep hormone melatonin in a dose of 3 mg taken 30 minutes before bedtime for 3 mo...
How Can Melatonin Help Me Sleep Better?
How Can Melatonin Help Me Sleep Better?
How Can I Boost My Melatonin Levels Naturally?