When can melatonin help with sleep?

Melatonin may help you sleep better in certain circumstances, such as:
  • If you know you’re going to have a major shift in sleep schedule. Because of how melatonin works, it can be beneficial for those who know they will be up late for a few nights in a row and know they will have trouble getting back to their normal sleep schedule. It also works well for jetlag.
  • If you’re over 60 years old and are having trouble sleeping. Your body makes less melatonin as you age, so your body may need more assistance with melatonin to help you sleep better.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Melatonin

What is melatonin used to treat?
As a supplement, melatonin has been used to treat insomnia; to aid in withdrawal from the use of ben...
What is the maximum safest dosage of taking melatonin?
MediGuardMediGuard
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration does not strictly regulate herbs and supplements like melatoni...
How Can I Boost My Melatonin Levels Naturally?
Should I Let My Doctor Know I Am Taking Melatonin?