What are the risks of taking too much melatonin?

Melatonin is a natural, nonaddicting hormone supplement that assists with sleep. Millions of people in the United States take it to get a good night’s sleep after having difficulties falling asleep or staying asleep. However, beware! Melatonin may be harmful to your sleep if taken inappropriately.

Melatonin is naturally produced in your brain. It tells your body that it’s nighttime and it’s time to go to bed. Melatonin is a powerful hormone. Many may mistake its power for that of a sleeping pill and feel compelled to take more for better sleep. However, at the wrong dosage, melatonin may actually destroy your sleep cycle. Too much melatonin at one time may also cause headaches, nausea, dizziness, or irritability.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Melatonin

How can melatonin help my child with ADHD deal with insomnia?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
A study analyzed reams of data on the efficacy and safety of melatonin for treating insomnia in ...
What are melatonin supplements?
Carol Ash, DOCarol Ash, DO
Melatonin is a natural hormone the body produces that helps you fall asleep by preparing your body f...
What Should I Know Before Using Melatonin Supplements?
Improve Your Memory with a Good Night's Sleep