What are the risks of taking too much melatonin?

Melatonin is a natural, nonaddicting hormone supplement that assists with sleep. Millions of people in the United States take it to get a good night’s sleep after having difficulties falling asleep or staying asleep. However, beware! Melatonin may be harmful to your sleep if taken inappropriately.

Melatonin is naturally produced in your brain. It tells your body that it’s nighttime and it’s time to go to bed. Melatonin is a powerful hormone. Many may mistake its power for that of a sleeping pill and feel compelled to take more for better sleep. However, at the wrong dosage, melatonin may actually destroy your sleep cycle. Too much melatonin at one time may also cause headaches, nausea, dizziness, or irritability.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Melatonin

Who should take melatonin?
Melatonin is not regulated by the FDA, so it has no FDA approved uses. However, some studies suggest...
When should I avoid taking melatonin?
Avoid taking melatonin in these circumstances:If you can’t sleep because of issues like stress, de...
How Can I Boost My Melatonin Levels Naturally?
Are There Any Regulations for the Use of Melatonin?