There is no recommended dose and no maximum dose for melatonin supplements. People respond differently to the drug and some may need higher doses than others. Dosing also will vary depending on what condition is being treated. The goal will likely be to use the lowest dose possible to get the desired effect. Often, dosing will start at the level normally produced by the body: 0.3 mg/day.
- Q Are melatonin supplements safe for pregnant or nursing women?
- Q Are there any foods that can provide melatonin?
- Q When can melatonin help with sleep?
- Q What dosage of melatonin supplement is typically used for adults?
- Q What should I avoid while taking melatonin?
- Q How does melatonin interact with medications or food?