Can melatonin help prevent migraines?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
In one study, the sleep hormone melatonin in a dose of 3 mg taken 30 minutes before bedtime for 3 months reduced the number of migraines by almost two-thirds and reduced migraine severity by half. A few people taking melatonin reported side effects of excessive sleepiness, hair loss, and increased sexual libido.
The Woman's Migraine Toolkit: Managing Your Headaches from Puberty to Menopause (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

Migraines are a common, controllable type of headache that affects one in every six women, more than 20 million in the United States alone. The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit helps readers take charge of...

Continue Learning about Melatonin

What should I avoid while taking melatonin?
Until you know how you will react to melatonin, you should not drive or operate any heavy machinery....
What should I know before using melatonin supplements?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
If you're a chronic tosser-and-turner, melatonin may be the answer to your sleep issues. Get all the...
What Are the Risks of Taking Melatonin?
What Are the Risks of Taking Melatonin?
To Sleep Better, Turn on the Light
To Sleep Better, Turn on the Light