Can melatonin help prevent migraines?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
In one study, the sleep hormone melatonin in a dose of 3 mg taken 30 minutes before bedtime for 3 months reduced the number of migraines by almost two-thirds and reduced migraine severity by half. A few people taking melatonin reported side effects of excessive sleepiness, hair loss, and increased sexual libido.
The Woman's Migraine Toolkit: Managing Your Headaches from Puberty to Menopause (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

Migraines are a common, controllable type of headache that affects one in every six women, more than 20 million in the United States alone. The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit helps readers take charge of...

Continue Learning about Melatonin

Who should take melatonin?
Melatonin is not regulated by the FDA, so it has no FDA approved uses. However, some studies suggest...
What conditions does melatonin treat?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Melatonin treats circadian rhythm disorders (where you sleep the right amount of minutes but your bo...
What Are the Risks of Taking Melatonin?
What Are the Risks of Taking Melatonin?
How Much Melatonin Supplement Should I Take?