Where does melanoma occur?

The most deadly form of skin cancer is melanoma. In men, it is seen most commonly on the belly (abdomen), chest and back. It can be cured if removed at any early stage.

This content originally appeared on http://blog.mountainstar.com/
Jenny C. Hu, MD
Dermatology
Men tend to get melanomas on the trunk, back and chest areas. Women tend to get melanomas on the legs. However, they can appear anywhere on your body. You can even get them on your feet, so it’s important to have your feet checked as well.

In men, melanoma is often found on the trunk (the area from the shoulders to the hips) or the head and neck. In women, melanoma often develops on the arms and legs. Melanoma usually occurs in adults, but it is sometimes found in children and adolescents.

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute 

Continue Learning about Melanoma

How does melanoma affect the body?
Jill Onesti, MDJill Onesti, MD
Melanoma is a cancer that begins in the skin. If caught at an early stage, removal of the melanoma c...
What is melanoma?
Dr. Arthur W. Perry, MDDr. Arthur W. Perry, MD
Melanomas are the most ominous type of skin cancer. They can grow spontaneously or can arise from mo...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?