What are the treatment options for polypoid melanoma?

The most common treatment for polypoid melanoma is surgical removal of the growth and some of the surrounding tissue. Because polypoid melanoma tends to grow more deeply into the skin rather than across the skin, doctors will usually remove the entire growth and the surrounding tissue down to the muscle lining. If doctors suspect that the cancer may have spread, they may also remove nearby lymph nodes to test for melanoma. Depending on how far polypoid melanoma has progressed, doctors may recommend other treatments such as chemotherapy and radiation therapy to kill cancerous cells that may have spread to other parts of the body.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

How does melanoma spread?
Ross M. Levy, MDRoss M. Levy, MD
The ability of a melanoma to spread is dependent on a number of factors, some of which we know a...
What factors affect my prognosis with melanoma?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
The prognosis (chance of recovery) and treatment options depend on the following:The stage of melano...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?