What are the treatment options for amelanotic melanoma?

Treatment options for amelanotic melanoma depend on several factors, including the type of melanoma, the stage of the cancer, and the age of the person affected. The most common treatment for amelanotic melanoma is surgical removal of the growth and surrounding tissue. Unfortunately, amelanotic melanoma has a high rate of recurring, even after surgery. If it returns, doctors may have to perform surgery again. If doctors suspect that the cancer may have spread, they may also remove nearby lymph nodes to test for melanoma there. Depending on how far the amelanotic melanoma has progressed, doctors may recommend other treatments such as chemotherapy and radiation therapy to kill cancerous cells that may have spread to other parts of the body. Talk to your doctor to determine the best treatment for you.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Tell Me Why ... My Mole Grew Back
Tell Me Why ... My Mole Grew Back
People get moles removed for a handful of reasons. Sometimes it’s purely cosmetic, other times it’s because the mole shows signs of potential skin can...
What is amelanotic melanoma?
Amelanotic melanoma is a type of melanoma, which is a skin cancer. Like most melanomas, amelanotic m...
What factors affect my prognosis with melanoma?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
The prognosis (chance of recovery) and treatment options depend on the following:The stage of melano...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?