What are the treatment options for amelanotic melanoma?

Treatment options for amelanotic melanoma depend on several factors, including the type of melanoma, the stage of the cancer, and the age of the person affected. The most common treatment for amelanotic melanoma is surgical removal of the growth and surrounding tissue. Unfortunately, amelanotic melanoma has a high rate of recurring, even after surgery. If it returns, doctors may have to perform surgery again. If doctors suspect that the cancer may have spread, they may also remove nearby lymph nodes to test for melanoma there. Depending on how far the amelanotic melanoma has progressed, doctors may recommend other treatments such as chemotherapy and radiation therapy to kill cancerous cells that may have spread to other parts of the body. Talk to your doctor to determine the best treatment for you.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What are the treatment options for stage 4 melanoma?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Treatment for stage 4 melanoma is usually more aggressive than earlier stages, because the cancer ha...
What are my chances of surviving melanoma?
Jill Onesti, MDJill Onesti, MD
The chance of surviving melanoma depends on how early the melanoma is discovered. Thin melanomas, ty...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?