What are the treatment options for acral lentiginous melanoma?

The most common treatment for acral lentiginous melanoma is surgical removal of the growth and some of the surrounding tissue. Because acral lentiginous melanoma tends to grow in more unusual areas, such as palms, soles, and under nails, surgery may be a bit more complex. This is especially true since acral lentiginous melanoma usually isn't diagnosed till it's already pretty advanced and may have grown more deeply into the skin. If doctors suspect that the cancer may have spread, they may also remove nearby lymph nodes to test for melanoma. Depending on how far acral lentiginous melanoma has progressed, doctors may recommend other treatments such as chemotherapy and radiation therapy to kill cancerous cells that may have spread to other parts of the body. Immunotherapy, which uses man-made antibodies like ipilimumab to help the immune system destroy cancer cells, has shown a great deal of promise for melanoma; it is usually administered by IV.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What do I need to know about caring for someone with melanoma?
If you are caring for someone with melanoma, it is very important to help that person follow medical...
Is melanoma serious?
Melanoma can be very serious if it's not detected and treated in its early stages. When detected ear...
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?