What are the symptoms of amelanotic melanoma?

The main symptom of amelanotic melanoma is growths on the skin. These are often light-colored (pink or white) or sometimes flesh-colored or completely uncolored, which makes them less noticeable. Normally, these types of lesions have very asymmetrical borders that may be lightly pigmented. Because any type of melanoma may have growths that are amelanotic, or non-pigmented, they can be of any size and shape, and may be found almost anywhere on the body. They're most often located under nails or alongside lentigo maligna growths, which are often flat and found on the face and neck. Some nodular melanoma growths, which are tall and dome-shaped, are amelanotic. Since symptoms vary from person to person, it's important to see a doctor if you think you may have amelanotic melanoma.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What determines how deep melanoma is?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
The Clark levels are used to describe how deep the melanoma has spread into the skin:     • Lev...
Where does melanoma occur?
Peter C. Fisher, MDPeter C. Fisher, MD
The most deadly form of skin cancer is melanoma. In men, it is seen most commonly on the belly (abdo...
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?