What are the symptoms of acral lentiginous melanoma?

The main symptom of acral lentiginous melanoma is a growth or lesion on the skin. These lesions usually occur in "hidden" areas that aren't exposed to sunlight, such as the palm, sole, nail bed, or mucous membranes. When it occurs on the palm or sole, it's often mistaken for a bruise because it's a brown or black spot that's oddly-shaped. This is similar to what the lesions look like when they're under a nail - the first symptom is usually a dark stripe under the nail. When acral lentiginous melanoma occurs in mucous membranes (usually the nose and mouth), it's usually a colored mass that can cause nosebleeds or a stuffy nose. Wherever they occur, the lesions can become thicker and more irregularly-colored, but they can also remain completely flat and colorless. Since symptoms may vary in appearance, and since the disease progresses rapidly, it's important to see a doctor if you think you may have acral lentiginous melanoma.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

How can I reduce my risk of dying from melanoma?
If you want to cut your risk of fatal melanoma, make an appointment with the mirror. Research sh...
How common is melanoma?
Jenny C. Hu, MDJenny C. Hu, MD
About one American dies of melanoma almost every hour, and one in 69 people will be diagnosed with t...
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?