What increases my risk for acral lentiginous melanoma?

Several factors may increase your risk for acral lentiginous melanoma. Acral lentiginous melanoma is the most common type of melanoma among people of African American, Latin American, Native American, and Asian American descent, so your risk may be increased if you're of one of these ethnic backgrounds. Also, acral lentiginous melanoma is most common among older people, so your risk may increase with age. Like other types of melanoma, there may be certain hereditary risk factors. If a family member has had melanoma, you are at a higher risk for the disease.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What You Need to Know About Skin Cancer
What You Need to Know About Skin Cancer
Skin cancer is the most common type of cancer in the United States and the most treatable, if caught early. There are several types of skin cancer. We...
How often should I have my skin checked for melanoma?
Alice DomarAlice Domar
There is no good data proving that skin checks reduce the risk of death by melanoma, so whether ...
What are my chances of surviving melanoma?
Dr. Philip A. Friedlander, MDDr. Philip A. Friedlander, MD
For stage IV metastatic melanoma, life expectancy is around 8 to 10 months. In this video, Philip Fr...
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?