What increases my risk for acral lentiginous melanoma?

Several factors may increase your risk for acral lentiginous melanoma. Acral lentiginous melanoma is the most common type of melanoma among people of African American, Latin American, Native American, and Asian American descent, so your risk may be increased if you're of one of these ethnic backgrounds. Also, acral lentiginous melanoma is most common among older people, so your risk may increase with age. Like other types of melanoma, there may be certain hereditary risk factors. If a family member has had melanoma, you are at a higher risk for the disease.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

How does melanoma spread?
Ross M. Levy, MDRoss M. Levy, MD
The ability of a melanoma to spread is dependent on a number of factors, some of which we know a...
How can I reduce my risk of dying from melanoma?
If you want to cut your risk of fatal melanoma, make an appointment with the mirror. Research sh...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?