What should I know about using sunscreen if I have melanoma?

Melanoma is the most serious form of skin cancer. But it is very curable if caught early. If you have been diagnosed with melanoma, your doctor will most likely provide you with detailed directions on how to protect your skin from any further damage, both during treatment and after. Those recommendations may include:
  • using a broad spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher
  • wearing UV protective clothing with an SPF of 30 or higher
  • finding shade when the sun is strongest, between 10 am and 4 pm

Continue Learning about Melanoma

How can I reduce my risk of dying from melanoma?
If you want to cut your risk of fatal melanoma, make an appointment with the mirror. Research sh...
Why is melanoma the most common form of cancer in young adults?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Melanoma is the most common form of cancer in people aged 25 to 29 and second (to Hodgkin's lymphoma...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?