What is uveal melanoma?

Uveal melanomais a type of cancer that affects the middle layer of the eye, called the uvea or the uveal tract. This type of cancer can form in any part of the uveal tract, but it generally starts in the cells that make melanin, which is the protective pigment that gives eyes their color. The symptoms and severity of uveal melanoma vary depending on which part of the eye is affected. Uveal melanoma is relatively rare, but it's actually the most common kind of eye cancer.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What is melanoma?
Dr. Arthur W. Perry, MDDr. Arthur W. Perry, MD
Melanomas are the most ominous type of skin cancer. They can grow spontaneously or can arise from mo...
What are the different types of melanoma?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
The most common form of melanoma is superficial spreading. It represents 70% of all cases as it spre...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?