What is soft tissue melanoma?

Soft tissue melanoma, also called malignant melanoma of soft parts or clear cell sarcoma, is a type of cancer that causes tumors in the body's soft tissue. Examples of soft tissues include nerves, muscles, tendons, blood vessels, and fat. Soft tissue melanoma is a pretty rare type of cancer, but when it does occur, it mainly develops deep in the tissues of the extremities, especially the legs. Symptoms and treatment may vary from case to case, but most soft tissue melanoma is pretty serious and requires medical attention right away.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What is amelanotic melanoma?
Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MDDr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
Amelanotic melanoma often appears as a lesion without color, irregular borders, and a small amount o...
How common is melanoma?
Jenny C. Hu, MDJenny C. Hu, MD
About one American dies of melanoma almost every hour, and one in 69 people will be diagnosed with t...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?