What is nodular melanoma?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Nodular melanoma represent up to 30% of all melanomas. It is more common in men than women and grows deeper and quicker than other types. It can be found on the head and neck and trunk regions and appears as a blue-black nodule. This form can grow rapidly and should undergo excision with wide margins as soon as possible. 

Nodular melanoma is the most aggressive form of melanoma, a type of skin cancer. Nodular melanoma, like all types of melanoma, starts in the cells that make melanin, which is the protective pigment that gives skin color. Because sunlight stimulates these cells to produce melanin, melanoma is often found in areas of skin that are exposed to sunlight, most commonly the torso, neck, and head. Sometimes melanoma develops on moles on your skin, but it usually occurs out of nowhere on normal skin. Nodular melanoma can be treated if it's diagnosed early, but the disease progresses very rapidly.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What are the treatment options for stage 4 melanoma?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Treatment for stage 4 melanoma is usually more aggressive than earlier stages, because the cancer ha...
What is melanoma?
Dr. Arthur W. Perry, MDDr. Arthur W. Perry, MD
Melanomas are the most ominous type of skin cancer. They can grow spontaneously or can arise from mo...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?