What is nodular melanoma?

Nodular melanoma is the most aggressive form of melanoma, a type of skin cancer. Nodular melanoma, like all types of melanoma, starts in the cells that make melanin, which is the protective pigment that gives skin color. Because sunlight stimulates these cells to produce melanin, melanoma is often found in areas of skin that are exposed to sunlight, most commonly the torso, neck, and head. Sometimes melanoma develops on moles on your skin, but it usually occurs out of nowhere on normal skin. Nodular melanoma can be treated if it's diagnosed early, but the disease progresses very rapidly.

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Nodular melanoma represent up to 30% of all melanomas. It is more common in men than women and grows deeper and quicker than other types. It can be found on the head and neck and trunk regions and appears as a blue-black nodule. This form can grow rapidly and should undergo excision with wide margins as soon as possible. 

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What You Need to Know About Skin Cancer
What You Need to Know About Skin Cancer
Skin cancer is the most common type of cancer in the United States and the most treatable, if caught early. There are several types of skin cancer. We...
How can I reduce my risk of dying from melanoma?
If you want to cut your risk of fatal melanoma, make an appointment with the mirror. Research sh...
Why is melanoma the most common form of cancer in young adults?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Melanoma is the most common form of cancer in people aged 25 to 29 and second (to Hodgkin's lymphoma...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?