What is mucosal melanoma?

Mucosal melanoma, like any type of melanoma, is a form of skin cancer that starts in the cells that make melanin, which is the protective pigment that gives skin color. The distinguishing characteristic of mucosal melanoma is that it affects the body's mucous membranes. Mucosal melanoma is most commonly found in the nose, mouth, esophagus, urinary tract, female genitalia, and anus. Because this type of melanoma occurs on skin that's not easily visible, it may also be known as a type of "hidden" melanoma and tend to be diagnosed after they've already progressed significantly.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What are the treatment options for uveal melanoma?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Treatment options for uveal melanoma depend on several factors, including the size and location of t...
What is amelanotic melanoma?
Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MDDr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
Amelanotic melanoma often appears as a lesion without color, irregular borders, and a small amount o...
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?