What is lentigo maligna melanoma?

Lentigo maligna melanoma is a type of skin cancer that causes flat, tan patches to appear on the skin. Lentigo maligna melanoma, like other types of melanoma, starts in the cells that make melanin, which is the protective pigment that gives skin color. Because sunlight stimulates these cells to produce melanin, lentigo maligna melanoma is most often found in areas of skin that are exposed to sunlight. Lentigo maligna melanoma is the least common type of melanoma and usually only affects older people.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

5 Different Skin Spots and What They May Mean
The statistics on skin cancer are shocking: More than 1 in 5 Americans will develop it by age 70, and more than one person dies of skin cancer—usually...
What is amelanotic melanoma?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Amelanotic melanoma is a type of melanoma, which is a skin cancer. Like most melanomas, amelanotic m...
What factors affect my prognosis with melanoma?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
The prognosis (chance of recovery) and treatment options depend on the following:The stage of melano...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?