What is lentigo maligna melanoma?

Lentigo maligna melanoma is a type of skin cancer that causes flat, tan patches to appear on the skin. Lentigo maligna melanoma, like other types of melanoma, starts in the cells that make melanin, which is the protective pigment that gives skin color. Because sunlight stimulates these cells to produce melanin, lentigo maligna melanoma is most often found in areas of skin that are exposed to sunlight. Lentigo maligna melanoma is the least common type of melanoma and usually only affects older people.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What are the treatment options for uveal melanoma?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Treatment options for uveal melanoma depend on several factors, including the size and location of t...
How are melanoma cells different from other cancer cells?
Philip A. Friedlander, MDPhilip A. Friedlander, MD
Melanoma cells can be hard to eradicate—and even after successful treatment, risk of recurrence rema...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?