What is desmoplastic melanoma?

Desmoplastic melanoma is a rare form of melanoma, a type of skin cancer. Desmoplastic melanoma, like all types of melanoma, starts in skin cells that make melanin, which is the protective pigment that gives skin color. Desmoplastic melanoma is often found in areas of skin that are exposed to sunlight, most commonly the neck and head. However, it may develop elsewhere on the body, including in mucous membranes. Unlike other types of melanoma that cause dark, mole-like growths, the growths caused by desmoplastic melanoma are often flesh-colored, which may make diagnosis a bit difficult.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Know Before You Go: Skin Biopsy
Know Before You Go: Skin Biopsy
More people are diagnosed with skin cancer each year than all other cancers combined. But despite being so common, it’s also the most treatable cancer...
What is amelanotic melanoma?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Amelanotic melanoma is a type of melanoma, which is a skin cancer. Like most melanomas, amelanotic m...
How does melanoma affect the body?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Melanoma is caused by the overproduction of certain skin cells called melanocytes. This cell overgro...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?