What is desmoplastic melanoma?

Desmoplastic melanoma is a rare form of melanoma, a type of skin cancer. Desmoplastic melanoma, like all types of melanoma, starts in skin cells that make melanin, which is the protective pigment that gives skin color. Desmoplastic melanoma is often found in areas of skin that are exposed to sunlight, most commonly the neck and head. However, it may develop elsewhere on the body, including in mucous membranes. Unlike other types of melanoma that cause dark, mole-like growths, the growths caused by desmoplastic melanoma are often flesh-colored, which may make diagnosis a bit difficult.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Why is melanoma the most common form of cancer in young adults?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Melanoma is the most common form of cancer in people aged 25 to 29 and second (to Hodgkin's lymphoma...
What is the survival rate for melanoma of the foot?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Since melanoma of the foot is usually noticed late by patients, and more likely to be misdiagnos...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?