What is amelanotic melanoma?

Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgeon

Amelanotic melanoma often appears as a lesion without color, irregular borders, and a small amount of pigmented area. A desmoplastic melanoma is commonly found under the nail bed with minimal color as well.

Amelanotic melanoma is a type of melanoma, which is a skin cancer. Like most melanomas, amelanotic melanoma is related to the cells that make melanin, which is the protective pigment that gives skin color. However, unlike other types of melanoma that cause dark, mole-like growths, the irregularly-shaped growths caused by amelanotic melanoma usually have no color (hence the name "amelanotic," or without melanin), or are pink, white, or flesh-colored. This can make treatment difficult since people often ignore these seemingly non-threatening lesions until the disease has already progressed quite far. Any type of melanoma may have amelanotic lesions.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Can I develop melanoma on parts of my body that do not get sun?
While it's most common for melanomas to develop on areas of skin that are exposed to the sun, it's p...
Why is melanoma the most common form of cancer in young adults?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Melanoma is the most common form of cancer in people aged 25 to 29 and second (to Hodgkin's lymphoma...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?