What is acral lentiginous melanoma?

Acral lentiginous melanoma is a subtype of melanoma, a type of skin cancer. Acral lentiginous melanoma, like all types of melanoma, starts in the cells that make melanin, which is the protective pigment that gives skin color. Unlike other types of melanoma, acral lentiginous melanoma generally occurs on areas of skin that aren't exposed to the sun, including palms, soles, nail beds, and mucous membranes. Because of this, it is sometimes called "hidden melanoma" and may not be found or diagnosed till its later stages.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

How does melanoma affect the body?
Jill Onesti, MDJill Onesti, MD
Melanoma is a cancer that begins in the skin. If caught at an early stage, removal of the melanoma c...
What are the treatment options for uveal melanoma?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Treatment options for uveal melanoma depend on several factors, including the size and location of t...
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?