What increases my risk for uveal melanoma?

There are several factors, both genetic and environmental, that may put you at risk for uveal melanoma. If you have light hair and skin and have green or blue eyes, you're more at risk since your eyes have less pigment to protect them. Also, being Caucasian may increase your risk for uveal cancer. Older adults are more commonly affected by the disease, so your age may affect your risk. Environmental risk factors such as excessive sun exposure may also increase your risk for uveal melanoma, though the tie between sun exposure and development of the disease may not be as strong as it is for regular skin melanoma.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Can children get melanoma?
Jill Onesti, MDJill Onesti, MD
It is very rare for children to develop melanoma, however it is possible. If you have a family histo...
What is malignant melanoma?
By far the deadliest form of skin cancer, malignant melanoma begins in the melanocytes, the cell...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?