What increases my risk for nodular melanoma?

Several factors, both genetic and environmental, may increase your risk of nodular melanoma. Nodular melanoma affects males more commonly than females, and it is seen most often in older people. Because of this, your risk may be increased if you are a man over age 50. If a family member has had melanoma, you are at a higher risk of the disease. Other genetic risk factors include having more than 50 moles or having any irregular moles. Environmental risk factors, such as excessive sun exposure, may also increase the risk of developing nodular melanoma.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Can I develop melanoma on parts of my body that do not get sun?
While it's most common for melanomas to develop on areas of skin that are exposed to the sun, it's p...
What is melanoma?
Dr. Arthur W. Perry, MDDr. Arthur W. Perry, MD
Melanomas are the most ominous type of skin cancer. They can grow spontaneously or can arise from mo...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?