What increases my risk for desmoplastic melanoma?

Several factors, both genetic and environmental, may increase your risk for desmoplastic melanoma. Because desmoplastic melanoma affects males more commonly than females and is seen most often in older people, your risk may be increased if you're a male over age 60. If a family member has had melanoma, you are at a higher risk for the disease. Other genetic risk factors include having more than 50 moles, having any irregular moles, and having extensive freckles especially on the upper back. Environmental risk factors such as excessive sun exposure may also increase the risk of developing desmoplastic melanoma. This is especially true for older people who have had a history of sunburns or excessive sun exposure for many years.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Coffee Beats Skin Cancer Two Ways
Coffee Beats Skin Cancer Two Ways
Could your morning cup of joe beat back skin cancer? It might. And it seems you may get equal protection from your java whether you sip it or slather ...
Can children get melanoma?
Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MDDr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
Unfortunately, even childhood melanoma can occur and is on the Rise. This may be associated with a d...
Can melanoma occur on the feet?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
The last place you might think to check for a suspicious mole is the soles of your feet, but mos...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?