What increases my risk for desmoplastic melanoma?

Several factors, both genetic and environmental, may increase your risk for desmoplastic melanoma. Because desmoplastic melanoma affects males more commonly than females and is seen most often in older people, your risk may be increased if you're a male over age 60. If a family member has had melanoma, you are at a higher risk for the disease. Other genetic risk factors include having more than 50 moles, having any irregular moles, and having extensive freckles especially on the upper back. Environmental risk factors such as excessive sun exposure may also increase the risk of developing desmoplastic melanoma. This is especially true for older people who have had a history of sunburns or excessive sun exposure for many years.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Regular Doctor Visits May Help You Survive Skin Cancer
You may be able to outlive melanoma—the most serious type of skin cancer—by doing one simple thing: seeing your doctor regularly. Find top doctors in...
How does melanoma affect the body?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Melanoma is caused by the overproduction of certain skin cells called melanocytes. This cell overgro...
What is the survival rate for melanoma of the foot?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Since melanoma of the foot is usually noticed late by patients, and more likely to be misdiagnos...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?