What increases my risk for amelanotic melanoma?

Risk factors for amelanotic melanoma may vary because almost any type of melanoma can be amelanotic. The risk factors of each individual subtype of melanoma are different, but there are some general factors that may increase your risk for developing melanoma. If a family member has had any type of melanoma, you are at a higher risk for the disease. Also, you are at a greater risk for melanoma if you have light hair and skin since your skin has less pigment to protect from UV rays. Other genetic risk factors include having more than 50 moles, having any irregular moles, and having a weakened immune system. If you have had a lot of sunburns, especially before you turned eighteen, you are at greater risk for melanoma. Increased sun exposure in general increases your risk, especially among older people who have had a lifetime of sun exposure.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What are the different types of melanoma?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
The most common form of melanoma is superficial spreading. It represents 70% of all cases as it spre...
How common is melanoma?
Jenny C. Hu, MDJenny C. Hu, MD
About one American dies of melanoma almost every hour, and one in 69 people will be diagnosed with t...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?