Q

Melanoma

What are my chances of surviving melanoma?

• A Surgical Oncology, answered on behalf of
    The chance of surviving melanoma depends on how early the melanoma is discovered. Thin melanomas, typically described as being less than one millimeter (mm) deep, have an excellent chance of survival with complete removal. Surgery remains the main treatment for melanoma, but it is not always possible to remove all lesions. If the tumor cannot be removed, or if there is evidence that it has spread throughout your body, your doctors will talk with you about options including chemotherapy, immunotherapy and radiation therapy.

Trinity Health recognizes that people seek medical information on a variety of topics for a variety of reasons. Trinity Health does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. As a Catholic health care organization, Trinity Health acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition. 

Please note, the information contained on this website is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider if you have questions regarding your medical condition or before starting any new treatment. In the event of a medical emergency always call 911 or proceed to your nearest emergency care facility.
  • What is the current survival rate for melanoma?
    For stage IV metastatic melanoma, life expectancy is around 8 to 10 months. In this video, Philip Friedlander, MD, an oncologist at The Mount Sinai Medical Center, discusses survivability rates for melanoma.
  • A , Dermatology, answered
    The survival rate for patients whose melanoma is detected early, before the tumor has penetrated the skin, is about 99%. The survival rate falls to 15% for those with advanced disease.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
Can I develop melanoma on parts of my body that do not get sun?