Q

Melanoma

What are my chances of surviving melanoma?

• A Surgical Oncology, answered on behalf of
    The chance of surviving melanoma depends on how early the melanoma is discovered. Thin melanomas, typically described as being less than one millimeter (mm) deep, have an excellent chance of survival with complete removal. Surgery remains the main treatment for melanoma, but it is not always possible to remove all lesions. If the tumor cannot be removed, or if there is evidence that it has spread throughout your body, your doctors will talk with you about options including chemotherapy, immunotherapy and radiation therapy.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.
  • What is the current survival rate for melanoma?
    For stage IV metastatic melanoma, life expectancy is around 8 to 10 months. In this video, Philip Friedlander, MD, an oncologist at The Mount Sinai Medical Center, discusses survivability rates for melanoma.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
Can I develop melanoma on parts of my body that do not get sun?