What are my chances of surviving melanoma?

Dr. Jill K. Onesti, MD
Surgical Oncologist

The chance of surviving melanoma depends on how early the melanoma is discovered. Thin melanomas, typically described as being less than one millimeter (mm) deep, have an excellent chance of survival with complete removal. Surgery remains the main treatment for melanoma, but it is not always possible to remove all lesions. If the tumor cannot be removed, or if there is evidence that it has spread throughout your body, your doctors will talk with you about options including chemotherapy, immunotherapy and radiation therapy.

For stage IV metastatic melanoma, life expectancy is around 8 to 10 months. In this video, Philip Friedlander, MD, an oncologist at The Mount Sinai Medical Center, discusses survivability rates for melanoma.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What determines how deep melanoma is?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
The Clark levels are used to describe how deep the melanoma has spread into the skin:     • Lev...
How does melanoma affect the body?
Jill Onesti, MDJill Onesti, MD
Melanoma is a cancer that begins in the skin. If caught at an early stage, removal of the melanoma c...
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?