What causes uveal melanoma?

Not much is known about why uveal melanoma forms, but it appears that melanoma in general develops when there are problems with the DNA that controls certain cells. In people with uveal melanoma, DNA is damaged and causes an overgrowth of melanocytes, which are the cells that produce the pigment that give your eyes their color. Certain genetic factors, such as your age and your coloring, may affect your chances of developing uveal cancer but do not cause the disease.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Can melanoma occur on the feet?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
The last place you might think to check for a suspicious mole is the soles of your feet, but mos...
How can I reduce my risk of dying from melanoma?
If you want to cut your risk of fatal melanoma, make an appointment with the mirror. Research sh...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?