What causes uveal melanoma?

Not much is known about why uveal melanoma forms, but it appears that melanoma in general develops when there are problems with the DNA that controls certain cells. In people with uveal melanoma, DNA is damaged and causes an overgrowth of melanocytes, which are the cells that produce the pigment that give your eyes their color. Certain genetic factors, such as your age and your coloring, may affect your chances of developing uveal cancer but do not cause the disease.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Hugh Jackman Skin Cancer Scare: “Get Yourself Checked!”
You may have seen the picture Hugh Jackman posted of himself on Instagram with a bandage over his nose. Movie stunt gone wrong? Far from it -- it’s a...
What factors affect my prognosis with melanoma?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
The prognosis (chance of recovery) and treatment options depend on the following:The stage of melano...
Can children get melanoma?
Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MDDr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
Unfortunately, even childhood melanoma can occur and is on the Rise. This may be associated with a d...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?