What causes polypoid melanoma?

Though the specific cause of polypoid melanoma is unknown, it's thought that melanoma develops when there are problems with the DNA that controls certain skin cells. In people with melanoma, DNA is damaged and causes an overgrowth of the skin cells that produce skin pigment. This overproduction of skin cells results in a cancerous melanoma growth, which can grow very tall above the skin in polypoid melanoma.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Where You’re Not Applying Sunscreen—But Should
Think you’re covered when it comes to sunscreen? Surprise: most of us aren’t using it appropriately. One study showed that most people apply only 25-5...
How are melanoma cells different from other cancer cells?
Philip A. Friedlander, MDPhilip A. Friedlander, MD
Melanoma cells can be hard to eradicate—and even after successful treatment, risk of recurrence rema...
How common is melanoma?
More than 53,000 people are diagnosed with melanoma every year in the United States. The number of n...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?