What causes polypoid melanoma?

Though the specific cause of polypoid melanoma is unknown, it's thought that melanoma develops when there are problems with the DNA that controls certain skin cells. In people with melanoma, DNA is damaged and causes an overgrowth of the skin cells that produce skin pigment. This overproduction of skin cells results in a cancerous melanoma growth, which can grow very tall above the skin in polypoid melanoma.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What is melanoma?
Dr. Arthur W. Perry, MDDr. Arthur W. Perry, MD
Melanomas are the most ominous type of skin cancer. They can grow spontaneously or can arise from mo...
How often should I have my skin checked for melanoma?
Alice DomarAlice Domar
There is no good data proving that skin checks reduce the risk of death by melanoma, so whether ...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?