What causes nodular melanoma?

Though the specific cause of nodular melanoma is unknown, it's thought that melanoma develops when there are problems with the DNA that controls certain skin cells. In people with melanoma, DNA is damaged and causes an overgrowth of the skin cells that produce skin pigment, which results in a cancerous melanoma. Although it's not proven that ultraviolet (UV) light causes melanoma, skin that is exposed to UVA and UVB radiation from sun exposure or tanning beds may be more vulnerable to damage.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Does Where You Live Affect Your Melanoma Risk?
Worried about skin cancer? If you’re debating whether to wear a hat or apply sunscreen before heading outside—go ahead and do it. A 2020 study in the ...
Can I develop melanoma on parts of my body that do not get sun?
While it's most common for melanomas to develop on areas of skin that are exposed to the sun, it's p...
How often should I have my skin checked for melanoma?
Alice DomarAlice Domar
There is no good data proving that skin checks reduce the risk of death by melanoma, so whether ...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?