What causes mucosal melanoma?

Though the specific cause of mucosal melanoma is unknown, it appears that melanoma develops when there are problems with the DNA that controls skin cells. In people with melanoma, DNA is damaged and causes an overgrowth of skin cells, which results in a cancerous melanoma. Unlike other melanoma, mucosal melanoma is not influenced by exposure to ultraviolet radiation, since it develops in areas not exposed to any light.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Want the Best Sunscreen? What You Need to Know
Summer's here. And who isn't cheering? But before you spin vintage Beach Boys vinyl or park your towel in a sunny spot, we have a public service annou...
What are the treatment options for stage 4 melanoma?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Treatment for stage 4 melanoma is usually more aggressive than earlier stages, because the cancer ha...
What are the symptoms of melanoma?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Symptoms of melanoma are growths on the skin. These growths usually appear as a change in a mole tha...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?