What causes mucosal melanoma?

Though the specific cause of mucosal melanoma is unknown, it appears that melanoma develops when there are problems with the DNA that controls skin cells. In people with melanoma, DNA is damaged and causes an overgrowth of skin cells, which results in a cancerous melanoma. Unlike other melanoma, mucosal melanoma is not influenced by exposure to ultraviolet radiation, since it develops in areas not exposed to any light.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Where does melanoma occur?
Peter C. Fisher, MDPeter C. Fisher, MD
The most deadly form of skin cancer is melanoma. In men, it is seen most commonly on the belly (abdo...
How does melanoma affect the body?
Jill Onesti, MDJill Onesti, MD
Melanoma is a cancer that begins in the skin. If caught at an early stage, removal of the melanoma c...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?