What causes amelanotic melanoma?

Though the specific cause of amelanotic melanoma is unknown, it appears that melanoma develops when there are changes with the DNA that controls certain skin cells. These mutations are thought to be caused by ultraviolet (UV) light, usually from sun exposure; also from tanning beds. Because amelanotic melanoma does not have the pigmentation often associated with melanoma it can be harder to notice. The lack of pigmentation is believed to be connected to the manner in which the DNA has changed.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What determines how deep melanoma is?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
The Clark levels are used to describe how deep the melanoma has spread into the skin:     • Lev...
How does melanoma spread?
Ross M. Levy, MDRoss M. Levy, MD
The ability of a melanoma to spread is dependent on a number of factors, some of which we know a...
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?