What causes amelanotic melanoma?

Though the specific cause of amelanotic melanoma is unknown, it appears that melanoma develops when there are changes with the DNA that controls certain skin cells. These mutations are thought to be caused by ultraviolet (UV) light, usually from sun exposure; also from tanning beds. Because amelanotic melanoma does not have the pigmentation often associated with melanoma it can be harder to notice. The lack of pigmentation is believed to be connected to the manner in which the DNA has changed.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Ask the Expert: Breaking Down SPF
Ask the Expert: Breaking Down SPF
We all know that wearing sunscreen is one of the best ways to protect ourselves from skin cancer, especially if we’re headed out for a long day in the...
How can I reduce my risk of dying from melanoma?
If you want to cut your risk of fatal melanoma, make an appointment with the mirror. Research sh...
How does melanoma affect the body?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Melanoma is caused by the overproduction of certain skin cells called melanocytes. This cell overgro...
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?