What causes acral lentiginous melanoma?

Though the specific cause of acral lentiginous melanoma is unknown, it's thought that melanoma develops when there are problems with the DNA that controls certain skin cells. In people with acral lentiginous melanoma, DNA is damaged and causes an overgrowth of the skin cells that produce skin pigment. This overproduction of cells results in a cancerous melanoma growth.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Where You’re Not Applying Sunscreen—But Should
Think you’re covered when it comes to sunscreen? Surprise: most of us aren’t using it appropriately. One study showed that most people apply only 25-5...
Can children get melanoma?
Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MDDr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
Unfortunately, even childhood melanoma can occur and is on the Rise. This may be associated with a d...
Why is melanoma the most common form of cancer in young adults?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Melanoma is the most common form of cancer in people aged 25 to 29 and second (to Hodgkin's lymphoma...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?