What causes acral lentiginous melanoma?

Though the specific cause of acral lentiginous melanoma is unknown, it's thought that melanoma develops when there are problems with the DNA that controls certain skin cells. In people with acral lentiginous melanoma, DNA is damaged and causes an overgrowth of the skin cells that produce skin pigment. This overproduction of cells results in a cancerous melanoma growth.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

How are melanoma cells different from other cancer cells?
Philip A. Friedlander, MDPhilip A. Friedlander, MD
Melanoma cells can be hard to eradicate—and even after successful treatment, risk of recurrence rema...
How does melanoma spread?
Ross M. Levy, MDRoss M. Levy, MD
The ability of a melanoma to spread is dependent on a number of factors, some of which we know a...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?