What are the warning signs of melanoma?

Kelly Traver

A changing, new, or "different" mole requires immediate medical attention. The "ABCD rule" outlines the warning signs of melanoma:
A-Asymmetry: One half does not match the other half.
B-Border irregularity: The edges are ragged or blurred.
C-Color: The pigment is not uniform.
D-Diameter: Melanomas are usually (but not always) greater than 6 millimeter in diameter

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Got Ulcerative Colitis? Make Sure to Protect Your Skin
As if dealing with diarrhea, stomach pain and fatigue wasn’t hard enough, there’s another major concern for people with ulcerative colitis, a type of ...
Can I develop melanoma on parts of my body that do not get sun?
While it's most common for melanomas to develop on areas of skin that are exposed to the sun, it's p...
What are my chances of surviving melanoma?
Dr. Philip A. Friedlander, MDDr. Philip A. Friedlander, MD
For stage IV metastatic melanoma, life expectancy is around 8 to 10 months. In this video, Philip Fr...
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?