What are the stages of melanoma?

The following stages are used for melanoma:

Stage 0 (Melanoma in Situ): In stage 0, abnormal melanocytes are found in the epidermis (Clark level I). These abnormal melanocytes may become cancer and spread into nearby normal tissue. Stage 0 is also called melanoma in situ.

Stage I:In stage I, cancer has formed. Stage I is divided into stages IA and IB:

• Stage IA: In stage IA, the tumor is not more than 1 millimeter thick, with no ulceration. The tumor is in the epidermis and the papillary dermis (Clark level II or III).
    • Stage IB: In stage IB, the tumor is either:
          o Not more than 1 millimeter thick and it has ulceration or it has spread through the dermis or into the subcutaneous layer (Clark level IV or V) ; or
          o More than 1 but not more than 2 millimeters thick, with no ulceration

Stage II: Stage II is divided into stages IIA, IIB, and IIC.

• Stage IIA: In stage IIA, the tumor is either:
          o more than 1 but not more than 2 millimeters thick, with ulceration; or
          o More than 2 but not more than 4 millimeters thick, with no ulceration.
    • Stage IIB: In stage IIB, the tumor is either:
          o more than 2 but not more than 4 millimeters thick, with ulceration; or
          o More than 4 millimeters thick, with no ulceration
    • Stage IIC: In stage IIC, the tumor is more than 4 millimeters thick, with ulceration

Stage III: In stage III, the tumor may be any thickness, with or without ulceration, and either:

• Has spread into a nearby lymph vessel and may have spread into nearby lymph nodes; or
    • Has spread to 1 or more lymph nodes, which may be matted (not moveable

Stage IV: In stage IV, the cancer has spread to other places in the body.

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Tell Me Why ... My Mole Grew Back
Tell Me Why ... My Mole Grew Back
People get moles removed for a handful of reasons. Sometimes it’s purely cosmetic, other times it’s because the mole shows signs of potential skin can...
What is melanoma?
Melanoma is the least common but most aggressive of the three most common types of skin cancer. Mela...
What are the different types of melanoma?
Ross M. Levy, MDRoss M. Levy, MD
Melanoma is cancer of the pigment-producing cells of your body, which are also known as melanocytes....
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?