How is uveal melanoma different from other types of melanoma?

The biggest difference between uveal melanoma and other types of melanoma is the location of the cancer. Both uveal melanoma and melanoma that affects your skin are caused by overgrowth of melanocytes, which are the cells that produce pigment in both your skin and your eyes. Since uveal melanoma forms within your eyes, it often goes a lot longer without being diagnosed since you often can't see it and, sometimes, it doesn't cause noticeable symptoms. Melanoma that occurs on your skin will lead to visible symptoms like skin growths, so it's easier to diagnose. Since they occur in different areas, they obviously have different effects on your body. Also, skin melanoma is far more common than uveal melanoma.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Melanoma Diagnosis More Deadly for Men than Women
Looks like science has found another reason for guys to slather on the sunscreen—according to a study, young men are 55 percent more likely to die fro...
Can children get melanoma?
Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MDDr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
Unfortunately, even childhood melanoma can occur and is on the Rise. This may be associated with a d...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with melanoma?
If you are caring for someone with melanoma, it is very important to help that person follow medical...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?