How is uveal melanoma different from other types of melanoma?

The biggest difference between uveal melanoma and other types of melanoma is the location of the cancer. Both uveal melanoma and melanoma that affects your skin are caused by overgrowth of melanocytes, which are the cells that produce pigment in both your skin and your eyes. Since uveal melanoma forms within your eyes, it often goes a lot longer without being diagnosed since you often can't see it and, sometimes, it doesn't cause noticeable symptoms. Melanoma that occurs on your skin will lead to visible symptoms like skin growths, so it's easier to diagnose. Since they occur in different areas, they obviously have different effects on your body. Also, skin melanoma is far more common than uveal melanoma.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

How often should I have my skin checked for melanoma?
Alice DomarAlice Domar
There is no good data proving that skin checks reduce the risk of death by melanoma, so whether ...
Can melanoma occur on the feet?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
The last place you might think to check for a suspicious mole is the soles of your feet, but mos...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?