What are the treatment options for lentigo maligna melanoma?

Depending on the size and location of the lentigo maligna melanoma lesions, your doctor may choose one of several treatment options. Often, doctors may choose to perform surgery to remove the lesion and some of the surrounding tissue. If necessary, a skin graft may be performed to help reduce scarring. In some cases, cryotherapy (freezing the skin lesions), radiation therapy (aiming high-energy radiation at the lesions), and chemotherapy (using drugs to kill cancer cells) may be used. Other medications, such as imiquimod, may be recommended. Because the effectiveness of treatment depends so heavily on each individual case, it's important to talk to your doctor about the best treatment option for you.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Got Ulcerative Colitis? Make Sure to Protect Your Skin
As if dealing with diarrhea, stomach pain and fatigue wasn’t hard enough, there’s another major concern for people with ulcerative colitis, a type of ...
What are the treatment options for stage 4 melanoma?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Treatment for stage 4 melanoma is usually more aggressive than earlier stages, because the cancer ha...
What is malignant melanoma?
By far the deadliest form of skin cancer, malignant melanoma begins in the melanocytes, the cell...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?