What are the treatment options for nodular melanoma?

The most common treatment for nodular melanoma is surgical removal of the growth and some of the nearby tissue. Because nodular melanoma tends to grow more deeply into the skin rather than across the skin, doctors will usually remove the entire growth and the surrounding tissue down to the muscle lining. If doctors suspect that the cancer may have spread, they may also remove nearby lymph nodes to test for melanoma. Depending on how far nodular melanoma has spread, doctors may recommend other treatments, such as chemotherapy and radiation therapy, to kill cancer cells that may have spread to other parts of the body.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What is the survival rate for melanoma of the foot?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Since melanoma of the foot is usually noticed late by patients, and more likely to be misdiagnos...
What is melanoma?
Dr. Arthur W. Perry, MDDr. Arthur W. Perry, MD
Melanomas are the most ominous type of skin cancer. They can grow spontaneously or can arise from mo...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?