What are the treatment options for nodular melanoma?

The most common treatment for nodular melanoma is surgical removal of the growth and some of the nearby tissue. Because nodular melanoma tends to grow more deeply into the skin rather than across the skin, doctors will usually remove the entire growth and the surrounding tissue down to the muscle lining. If doctors suspect that the cancer may have spread, they may also remove nearby lymph nodes to test for melanoma. Depending on how far nodular melanoma has spread, doctors may recommend other treatments, such as chemotherapy and radiation therapy, to kill cancer cells that may have spread to other parts of the body.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Tell Me Why ... My Mole Grew Back
Tell Me Why ... My Mole Grew Back
People get moles removed for a handful of reasons. Sometimes it’s purely cosmetic, other times it’s because the mole shows signs of potential skin can...
Why is melanoma the most common form of cancer in young adults?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Melanoma is the most common form of cancer in people aged 25 to 29 and second (to Hodgkin's lymphoma...
How does melanoma affect the body?
Melanoma is caused by the overproduction of certain skin cells called melanocytes. This cell overgro...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?