What are the treatment options for mucosal melanoma?

By the time most mucosal melanoma is diagnosed, the cancer is quite advanced so treatment options may be limited. The most common treatment for mucosal melanoma is surgical removal of the growth and a small part of the surrounding tissue. In some cases, doctors may also remove nearby lymph nodes to see whether the cancer has spread. If the melanoma is advanced and has spread throughout the body, chemotherapy may be recommended.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Will melanoma surgery leave a scar?
Jill Onesti, MDJill Onesti, MD
Melanoma surgery does leave a scar. Treatment of the original lesion on the skin consists of a "wide...
What are the different types of melanoma?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
The most common form of melanoma is superficial spreading. It represents 70% of all cases as it spre...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?