What are the treatment options for desmoplastic melanoma?

The most common treatment option for desmoplastic melanoma is surgery. Because the desmoplastic melanoma growths are very localized and very deep, doctors will often surgically remove the entire growth and the surrounding tissue down to the muscle lining. Unfortunately, desmoplastic melanoma has a rate of recurring, even after surgery. If it returns, doctors may have to perform surgery again. If doctors suspect that the cancer may have spread, they may also remove nearby lymph nodes to test for melanoma there. Depending on how far the desmoplastic melanoma has progressed, doctors may recommend other treatments such as chemotherapy and radiation therapy to kill cancerous cells that may have spread to other parts of the body.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What is the survival rate for melanoma of the foot?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Since melanoma of the foot is usually noticed late by patients, and more likely to be misdiagnos...
What is amelanotic melanoma?
Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MDDr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
Amelanotic melanoma often appears as a lesion without color, irregular borders, and a small amount o...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?