What are the treatment options for soft tissue melanoma?

Treatment for soft tissue melanoma often involves a combination of procedures. The most common treatment for soft tissue melanoma, or malignant melanoma of soft parts, is surgery. Usually, doctors will remove the tumor and some of the surrounding tissue. Most of the time, doctors can remove just the tumor and not an entire limb, but if the cancer has started to spread throughout the leg, doctors may have to perform an amputation. If the cancer has spread to the lymph nodes, doctors may remove one or more nearby lymph nodes during surgery. Another procedure that may be used to treat soft tissue melanoma is radiation therapy, which involves aiming high-energy rays at the tumor to destroy cancerous cells. Radiation therapy may be done before or after surgery. Sometimes, doctors may suggest chemotherapy, which involves taking strong medications that kill cancer cells. Other treatment options are being explored, so talk to your doctor to determine the best treatment for you.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What factors affect my prognosis with melanoma?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
The prognosis (chance of recovery) and treatment options depend on the following:The stage of melano...
How does melanoma spread?
Ross M. Levy, MDRoss M. Levy, MD
The ability of a melanoma to spread is dependent on a number of factors, some of which we know a...
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?