What are the symptoms of mucosal melanoma?

Symptoms of mucosal melanoma depend on the location of the cancer. In most cases, mucosal melanoma will cause discolored skin growths, but since they form in areas that are mostly hidden, this isn't a noticeable symptom. The most visibly noticeable symptoms occur if mucosal melanoma affects the female genitals. These symptoms may include changes in an existing mole or formation of a new skin growth (generally on the vulva), and may also include pain, itching, bleeding, or other discharge. When mucosal melanoma occurs in the mouth, it may cause pain similar to a canker sore. When it forms in the nose, symptoms may include nosebleeds and a stuffy nose. It rarely forms in the esophagus, but when it does, symptoms may include difficulty or pain with swallowing, or regurgitation of food. In the urinary tract, mucosal melanoma can cause painful or frequent urination, as well as bloody urine. Symptoms of mucosal melanoma in the anus may include pain or bleeding from the rectum.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Can melanoma occur on the feet?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
The last place you might think to check for a suspicious mole is the soles of your feet, but mos...
Why is melanoma the most common form of cancer in young adults?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Melanoma is the most common form of cancer in people aged 25 to 29 and second (to Hodgkin's lymphoma...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?