What are the symptoms of desmoplastic melanoma?

The main symptom of desmoplastic melanoma is growths on the skin. These are often light-colored or sometimes completely flesh-colored, which can make them less noticeable. The growths are often elevated and grow down deep into the skin instead of growing across the skin. Usually, desmoplastic melanoma develops on the head or neck, but it can form almost anywhere on the body. In about half of the cases of desmoplastic melanoma, growths develop alongside a lentigo melanoma, which is another type of skin lesion.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Will melanoma surgery leave a scar?
Jill Onesti, MDJill Onesti, MD
Melanoma surgery does leave a scar. Treatment of the original lesion on the skin consists of a "wide...
Why is melanoma the most common form of cancer in young adults?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Melanoma is the most common form of cancer in people aged 25 to 29 and second (to Hodgkin's lymphoma...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?