What are the symptoms of desmoplastic melanoma?

The main symptom of desmoplastic melanoma is growths on the skin. These are often light-colored or sometimes completely flesh-colored, which can make them less noticeable. The growths are often elevated and grow down deep into the skin instead of growing across the skin. Usually, desmoplastic melanoma develops on the head or neck, but it can form almost anywhere on the body. In about half of the cases of desmoplastic melanoma, growths develop alongside a lentigo melanoma, which is another type of skin lesion.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

5 Different Skin Spots and What They May Mean
The statistics on skin cancer are shocking: More than 1 in 5 Americans will develop it by age 70, and more than one person dies of skin cancer—usually...
What are the different types of melanoma?
Ross M. Levy, MDRoss M. Levy, MD
Melanoma is cancer of the pigment-producing cells of your body, which are also known as melanocytes....
Is melanoma serious?
Melanoma can be very serious if it's not detected and treated in its early stages. When detected ear...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?