Can sunscreen help prevent melanoma in adults?

Dr. Robin Miller, MD
A study in Australia found that adults who use sunscreen faithfully have a 50% decrease in the development of melanoma, and a 73% decrease in the development of invasive melanoma.

Even though millions of Americans depend on sunscreen for skin protection, melanoma rates are rising. The consensus among scientists is that sunscreens alone cannot reverse this trend. Yet a good sunscreen can play role in preventing sunburns that are a major risk factor for melanoma -- provided you use it correctly. That means applying the recommended amount, applying it frequently and not staying in the sun too long. Although sunscreen may protect you from getting a burn, it won't protect your skin from other, more serious forms of sun damage.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Got Ulcerative Colitis? Make Sure to Protect Your Skin
As if dealing with diarrhea, stomach pain and fatigue wasn’t hard enough, there’s another major concern for people with ulcerative colitis, a type of ...
What are the treatment options for uveal melanoma?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Treatment options for uveal melanoma depend on several factors, including the size and location of t...
How does melanoma spread?
Ross M. Levy, MDRoss M. Levy, MD
The ability of a melanoma to spread is dependent on a number of factors, some of which we know a...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?