Can sunscreen help prevent melanoma in adults?

Even though millions of Americans depend on sunscreen for skin protection, melanoma rates are rising. The consensus among scientists is that sunscreens alone cannot reverse this trend. Yet a good sunscreen can play role in preventing sunburns that are a major risk factor for melanoma -- provided you use it correctly. That means applying the recommended amount, applying it frequently and not staying in the sun too long. Although sunscreen may protect you from getting a burn, it won't protect your skin from other, more serious forms of sun damage.
Dr. Robin Miller, MD
A study in Australia found that adults who use sunscreen faithfully have a 50% decrease in the development of melanoma, and a 73% decrease in the development of invasive melanoma.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

How can I reduce my risk of dying from melanoma?
If you want to cut your risk of fatal melanoma, make an appointment with the mirror. Research sh...
Can I develop melanoma on parts of my body that do not get sun?
While it's most common for melanomas to develop on areas of skin that are exposed to the sun, it's p...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?