Does sun exposure increase my risk for amelanotic melanoma?

Depending on the type of melanoma, sun exposure may play a role in the development of amelanotic melanoma. Amelanotic melanoma begins in the same types of cells that produce the pigment that causes skin to tan when exposed to sun, but these cells are found all over your skin, not just in areas exposed to the sun. However, since sun exposure can be a risk factor for most types of melanoma, it's a good idea to protect your skin using strong sunscreen and long-sleeved clothing.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What are my chances of surviving melanoma?
Jill Onesti, MDJill Onesti, MD
The chance of surviving melanoma depends on how early the melanoma is discovered. Thin melanomas, ty...
Can melanoma occur on the feet?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
The last place you might think to check for a suspicious mole is the soles of your feet, but mos...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?