Does sun exposure increase my risk for acral lentiginous melanoma?

Unlike other types of melanoma, acral lentiginous melanoma does not seem to be related to sun exposure. It often develops on areas of skin that aren't exposed to the sun, such as palms, soles, nail beds, and mucous membranes. Acral lentiginous melanoma begins in the same types of cells that produce the pigment that causes skin to tan when exposed to sun, but these cells are found all over your skin, not just in areas exposed to the sun.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Ask the Expert: Breaking Down SPF
Ask the Expert: Breaking Down SPF
We all know that wearing sunscreen is one of the best ways to protect ourselves from skin cancer, especially if we’re headed out for a long day in the...
What is the survival rate for melanoma of the foot?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Since melanoma of the foot is usually noticed late by patients, and more likely to be misdiagnos...
What are my chances of surviving melanoma?
Dr. Philip A. Friedlander, MDDr. Philip A. Friedlander, MD
For stage IV metastatic melanoma, life expectancy is around 8 to 10 months. In this video, Philip Fr...
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?
Can Drinking Coffee Prevent Melanoma?