Does sun exposure increase my risk for acral lentiginous melanoma?

Unlike other types of melanoma, acral lentiginous melanoma does not seem to be related to sun exposure. It often develops on areas of skin that aren't exposed to the sun, such as palms, soles, nail beds, and mucous membranes. Acral lentiginous melanoma begins in the same types of cells that produce the pigment that causes skin to tan when exposed to sun, but these cells are found all over your skin, not just in areas exposed to the sun.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Will melanoma surgery leave a scar?
Jill Onesti, MDJill Onesti, MD
Melanoma surgery does leave a scar. Treatment of the original lesion on the skin consists of a "wide...
What determines how deep melanoma is?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
The Clark levels are used to describe how deep the melanoma has spread into the skin:     • Lev...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?