Can soft tissue melanoma spread to other parts of the body?

Soft tissue melanoma - also called malignant melanoma of soft parts or clear cell sarcoma - is an aggressive type of cancer, which means it can quickly spread to other parts of the body. Tumors usually form in the tendons of the limbs, and if they are left untreated, they continue to grow. Eventually, cells can break off from the tumor and spread to other parts of the body. This process is called metastasis. Sometimes, the cancer only spreads to nearby tissue and lymph nodes. In other cases, soft tissue melanoma may metastasize to distant parts of the body like the lungs and bones, which causes serious complications. Because soft tissue melanoma can spread if it's left untreated, it's important to talk to your doctor right away if you notice any symptoms.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What is melanoma?
Dr. Arthur W. Perry, MDDr. Arthur W. Perry, MD
Melanomas are the most ominous type of skin cancer. They can grow spontaneously or can arise from mo...
What determines how deep melanoma is?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
The Clark levels are used to describe how deep the melanoma has spread into the skin:     • Lev...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?