Can soft tissue melanoma spread to other parts of the body?

Soft tissue melanoma - also called malignant melanoma of soft parts or clear cell sarcoma - is an aggressive type of cancer, which means it can quickly spread to other parts of the body. Tumors usually form in the tendons of the limbs, and if they are left untreated, they continue to grow. Eventually, cells can break off from the tumor and spread to other parts of the body. This process is called metastasis. Sometimes, the cancer only spreads to nearby tissue and lymph nodes. In other cases, soft tissue melanoma may metastasize to distant parts of the body like the lungs and bones, which causes serious complications. Because soft tissue melanoma can spread if it's left untreated, it's important to talk to your doctor right away if you notice any symptoms.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

3 Myths About Sunshine
3 Myths About Sunshine
Sunlight has a profound effect on our bodies, skin and even our mood. And while there's no shortage of information on how to stay safe in the sun, som...
What are the treatment options for stage 4 melanoma?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Treatment for stage 4 melanoma is usually more aggressive than earlier stages, because the cancer ha...
Where does melanoma occur?
Jenny C. Hu, MDJenny C. Hu, MD
Men tend to get melanomas on the trunk, back and chest areas. Women tend to get melanomas on the leg...
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?
How Can I Avoid Melanoma?