How is soft tissue melanoma diagnosed?

It's often difficult to diagnose soft tissue melanoma because even on a cellular level, it resembles many other similar conditions. The process of diagnosing soft tissue melanoma (or clear cell sarcoma) usually begins with a physical exam that includes a review of your symptoms and medical history. If doctors suspect soft tissue melanoma, there are several tests that may be performed. The most important and most commonly-used test is a biopsy. In this procedure, doctors remove a sample of the tumor to be analyzed under a microscope. The sample may be removed using a thin needle, or all or part of the tumor may be surgically cut out. The sample is then analyzed using one of several tests to confirm the diagnosis of soft tissue melanoma.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

What factors affect my prognosis with melanoma?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
The prognosis (chance of recovery) and treatment options depend on the following:The stage of melano...
How common is melanoma?
Jenny C. Hu, MDJenny C. Hu, MD
About one American dies of melanoma almost every hour, and one in 69 people will be diagnosed with t...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?