How does soft tissue melanoma affect the body?

Soft tissue melanomas starts in certain cells of the body's soft tissue. This type of cancer, also known as malignant melanoma of soft parts, is known as a melanoma because it's related to a type of cell called melanocytes. When certain DNA mutations occur, it causes an overproduction of these cells that form a tumor in the soft tissue, usually the tendons. Most commonly, soft tissue melanoma develops in the legs, but they can also form in other places throughout the body. Tumors usually cause a small lump that may be painful, and if they're not treated, they can continue to grow and may spread quickly throughout the body.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

How often should I have my skin checked for melanoma?
Alice DomarAlice Domar
There is no good data proving that skin checks reduce the risk of death by melanoma, so whether ...
Why is melanoma the most common form of cancer in young adults?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Melanoma is the most common form of cancer in people aged 25 to 29 and second (to Hodgkin's lymphoma...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?