How does soft tissue melanoma affect the body?

Soft tissue melanomas starts in certain cells of the body's soft tissue. This type of cancer, also known as malignant melanoma of soft parts, is known as a melanoma because it's related to a type of cell called melanocytes. When certain DNA mutations occur, it causes an overproduction of these cells that form a tumor in the soft tissue, usually the tendons. Most commonly, soft tissue melanoma develops in the legs, but they can also form in other places throughout the body. Tumors usually cause a small lump that may be painful, and if they're not treated, they can continue to grow and may spread quickly throughout the body.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Tell Me Why ... My Mole Grew Back
Tell Me Why ... My Mole Grew Back
People get moles removed for a handful of reasons. Sometimes it’s purely cosmetic, other times it’s because the mole shows signs of potential skin can...
What are the treatment options for uveal melanoma?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Treatment options for uveal melanoma depend on several factors, including the size and location of t...
What is melanoma?
Melanoma is the least common but most aggressive of the three most common types of skin cancer. Mela...
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?