Should I talk to my doctor about my acral lentiginous melanoma symptoms?

Because acral lentiginous melanoma symptoms are often overlooked, it's important to talk to your doctor if you notice any symptoms. Symptoms that may suggest acral lentiginous melanoma include oddly-shaped skin lesions that may look like bruises. If they form under nails, the lesions may look like narrow streaks, and nails may separate from the nail bed. If you notice what looks like a bruise or nail streak but don't remember any recent injuries that would've caused them, you should probably talk with a doctor. The earlier the diagnosis, the more likely it is that acral lentiginous melanoma can be successfully treated.

Continue Learning about Melanoma

Where does melanoma occur?
Peter C. Fisher, MDPeter C. Fisher, MD
The most deadly form of skin cancer is melanoma. In men, it is seen most commonly on the belly (abdo...
Can I develop melanoma on parts of my body that do not get sun?
While it's most common for melanomas to develop on areas of skin that are exposed to the sun, it's p...
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Is There a Vaccine to Prevent Melanoma?
Can Taking Antioxidant Vitamins Be a Problem If I Have Melanoma?